From Diversity Workbench
The help pages for this project are under development. Red links indicate that the topic does not exist yet.
- About this Wiki.
- Contact responsible for legal issues and participation.
- Authentication policy explains where a user account (i. e. login, sign-in) is required and how to become an authenticated user.
- Quick introduction to Wikis in general.
- Wiki Etiquette provides a guideline on good working habits with Wikis in general.
- To edit a page, click on the "Edit"-link displayed on each page (typically at the bottom; depending on the template used). The page will open with editable text in Wiki source view, i.e. without the formatting you see in view mode.
- In many cases editing a Wiki page is not more complicated than writing an unformatted email. A Wiki is meant to achieve much with simple means.
- Below the editor area some formatting tips can be found. Furthermore, links to more comprehensive formatting help pages are displayed at the very bottom of the page. The most relevant of these help pages are:
- Help: Formatting Quick Reference: A tabular overview over the most important formatting and markup rules.
- More detailed information on Formatting rules can be found in the MediaWiki documentation.
- Help: Advanced formatting help: Discusses some useful, but slightly more complex techniques (Interwiki links, footnotes, tables, variables).
To figure out how the Wiki editor works you may use the Sandbox. This avoids creating undesired pages in other Wiki webs.
- Adding new pages: No "menu entry" to create new pages exists, the following methods are most common:
- It is best to create new pages by first creating a link to the new pages on an existing page. This reduces the danger of orphaned pages that are not referenced elsewhere. Edit an appropriate existing page, create a link pointing to the new (non-existing) page like New Topic. Save the page, and click on the link (which is formatted differently, typically red). The Wiki will inform you that the page does not yet exist and offer to create the new page.
- It is also possible to use the search box on the sidebar. If a searched page does not exist, the Wiki offers you the option to create it. However, do remember to link the new page in one or several places to integrate it into existing content.
- Editing Conflicts: If two users edits the same page at the same time, the second user attempting to save will be prevented from saving and shown a conflict page instead. If you see a conflict page, please respect the other persons work and carefully merge the two edits.
- Deleting and renaming pages: Depending on the setup, only administrators may delete and rename pages and attachments. To be discussed: Other users can request clean-up work by placing PleaseDeleteMe or PleaseRenameMe links on a page.
- About software, version, features, and extensions of this Wiki installation.