Recommendations for developers
Software developers are invited to use the source code of the DWB to set up their own software applications, e. g. for domain-specific purposes. They are encouraged to start cooperative projects with the DWB developer team and use the DWB code repositories to archive their code.
First, we recommend to study the DWB terminology and programming philosophy in several steps:
Step 1: Have a look on the published DWB ER models.
Step 2: Have a look on the code repositories:
- DWB SVN code repository for C# source code of the DWB (main repository)
- DWB Services GitHub code repository of the SNSB IT Center: DWB REST and SOAP Services source code, DiversityMobile code, DWB schemas for data import, export, xslt files for label printing, other scripts developed by SNSB and UBT
- SMNS GitHub code repository of the Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart: DWB schemas for data import, export, xslt files for label printing, other scripts
- ZFMK GitHub code repository of the Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig: DWB schemas for data import, export, xslt files for label printing, other scripts
Step 3: Check the information given in Technical documentation at a glance and DWB environments alternatives. Set up a DWB environment of Alternative A on your PC. Use a MS SQL Server 2012 Developer license and install 3-4 of the DWB databases and rich clients, e. g. DiversityAgents, DiversityProjects, DiversityCollection and DiversityDescriptions.
Step 4: Contact the SNSB IT Center team to get an account for a DWB training environment with test data.
Step 5: Participate in a DWB Workshop (currently offered in German only).
Step 6: To start with programming install MS VisualStudio 2010 (upwards) Express, which is free of charge. For ambitious projects we recommend MS SQL Server 2012 Developer and MS VisualStudio Professional, which costs around 100 Euro for developers at an university.
Step 7: For downloading the directories from the DWB SVN code repository we recommend to install Subversion (SVN command line tool: e.g. "svn co http://svn.snsb.info/repos/DiversityWorkbench/trunk/DiversityAgents", or TortoiseSVN graphical user interface). The code ist organized in several directories (see DWB code statistics). For download be aware of the size of the directories because the bandwidth might be limited, e. g., DiversityWorkbench (50 MB), DiversityWorkbench (documentation) (600 MB), DiversityAgents (5 MB) and so on
Step 8: You might use this code as template for the programming.
Step 9: Please keep contact with the DWB editors, co-workers and software developers to learn more about the DWB philosophy, terminology, name space and conventions.
- DWB network and interfaces (intranet, internet)